I've completed a custom install of a VDO boost gauge in my 2003 Audi RS-6. There are no pre-fabricated pods for the RS-6 so I had to fabricate and customize one of the dash vents to hold the gauge. The install was time consuming, but it came out well and gives me a real time view of boost levels.
I tapped the boost line into the vacuum hose between the fuel pressure regulator and the intake. I had to get a bit creative on how to route the hoses to keep them from kinking. I also replaced all of the other vacuum lines since most looked pretty old and had visible cracks.
Vacuum Hoses and Boost Line
To install the VDO boost gauge in the vent, it took quite a bit of fabrication to use the factory directional vent vanes. They looked pretty rough during the fabrication, but it turned out fine.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
I wasn't sure I would even like the RS6 because it is automatic and a bigger chassis. After learning from the dealer that the owner had a chip and exhaust installed, I was more interested. The stock HP figures were 450hp and he said this one had over 500hp. At that time all I knew it had was a computer chip and a cat-back exhaust. I drove it and the power was amazing and spool up time for the turbos were really quick. The transmission had normal automatic mode (drive), sport mode (automatic downshifts and quicker shifts), and full manual mode with paddle shifters.
After working with the dealership for a while, we came to an acceptable price for purchase. So I bought the car and traded in our 2004 Dodge Durango because we were no longer going to need it to haul the trailer and Formula Ford. I drove it home and every time I stepped on the gas it made me smile. What I love about turbos is if you drive the car normal you don't realize you have more power. Plus when I was easy on the accelerator I was getting 25mpg on the highway.
Here is the list of modifications at the time of purchase:
- O.CT engine chip (increased boost and top speed limiter removed)
- O.CT transmission chip option (quicker shifts)
- PSS9 Coil over and 9-way adjustable dampers and springs (ride height and dampening adjustable)
- Hotchkis sport front and rear sway bars
- 18"x9" wheels with 12mm spacers
- 255/35/18 tires Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tires
- Milltek stainless steel cat-back exhaust systems
- Milltek turbo downpipes with high flow cats
- Hyperboost diverter valves
- ECS Tuning silicon vacuum hoses
- VDO boost gauge - mounted in dash vent
- Spare tire removed - additional weight savings
- Engine: 4.2L V-8 Bi-Turbo (twin turbo)
- Power: 530hp / 515ft/lbs (at the crank)
- Weight: 4075lbs
- 0-60: 3.6-3.9 - verified on 12/6/2009 with averaged G-tech runs
- 1/4 mile - 12.0 seconds - estimated
- Top speed: 195mph